Volunteering tips – how can you help?
Here’s how you can volunteer to help and support others during the coronavirus (covid-19) pandemic…
Look out for your community
The simplest thing everyone can do right now is look out for their neighbours and offer help with shopping and other errands. If you must stay at home but feel well enough to help, you can volunteer remotely, for example to befriend people who are isolated people or share official information.
Remember it’s a marathon not a sprint – your help will be even more crucial in a few weeks’ time. For now, the best thing to do is to check in on neighbours.
Stay safe when supporting others
- Only volunteer if you feel well enough and are not shielding, self-isolating or in a high-risk group.
- Keep washing your hands often for 20 seconds.
- Stay at least 2m – about three steps – away from people you’re helping. Where 2m is not possible, stay at least 1m apart with precautions.
- If you’re trying to help someone with very serious issues – don’t be afraid to flag with appropriate statutory services.
- Support family, friends and neighbours by phone or video call.
- Offer to run errands for people but stay outside of people’s homes.
- Let family and friends know what you’re doing.
- Don’t take on too much – it’s often better not to offer at all than to let someone down.